Saturday, July 16, 2011

Home Sweet Home

I never understood why my parents were so eager to get home after a holiday - we're on holidays! Fun stuff, eating out, no work or school. Well I think I finally get it.

When I was a kid, all I cared about was having fun and doing new things. I had absolutely no responsibilities on vacation, and I thought that neither did my parents. I now know how wrong that is. When you are adult on holidays, you always have to think about...are my kids eating properly, getting enough sleep, how much is this costing us, why is this bed so damn uncomfortable, why can't I have just a few moments alone with my spouse, where the heck are we going to eat next meal, why is this hotel room so dirty, is it safe here?

We were away for 3 weeks to Europe and I was so happy that is was over. I love being there, don't get me wrong, but there are so many things I missed about my home. How clean and spacious it is, how comfy my bed is, having all my clothes and beauty products, the list goes on.
The trip started out just fine, aside from come crappy weather. We stayed a week at Lake Balaton in Hungary, we just love this place. It is relaxing and just comfortable. We rented an apartment there and that was great, it was clean and fairly spacious, the owners were wonderful. Then we moved on to Budapest. Due to not wanting to be there much, this stay had been shortened to just 3 nights. My husband's grandmother passed away while we were there, and we were 2 hours too late to see her one last time. It was a difficult time. There has been some family tension and her death made us have to spend a lot of time with his family. The stay in Budapest this year was very trying. We then stayed 2 days in Germany which was great, except for the fact that the hotel screwed up our reservation and then overcharged us. I'll get my money back, not to worry. We flew to Barcelona next. It's a beautiful city but VERY loud. Our apartment was ok, a bit on the small side. The bathroom however was not up to par - I know that I am picky, but this would have made anyone cringe. My lovely husband cleaned it for us, I can't thank him enough for that. We stayed in Barcelona for a week, and it was nice, we had 3 beach days, thank goodness, I really needed that sun. We did the touristy things and it was ok. But that last day, all I could think about was home.

The flight home was long, we got up at 3am Barcelona time, flew to Munich at 6am, had a 6 hour layover in Munich and then flew to Calgary at 2pm ish. By the end of that night, we had been up for over 24 hours straight. My daughter got a bit sick on the plane, the wonderful Air transat stewardess gave her a ginger ale and an orange. I have never seen her so happy to see a piece of fruit! I had been sick for about 3 days by then, tummy troubles, cramping, back pain. I am still not over it. Anyway, we got to Calgary, our luggage was delayed by an hour, and by then I just wanted to go home. We hoped in a cab, and he drove us very slowly home!

When we got home, we immediately stared the laundry, I am still working on it. We ordered a pizza, and my son passed out on the couch as soon as he was finished chewing. My husband, the nut, went to his soccer game, they won. I went to bed, spent yesterday in a haze. I was out long enough to get groceries and some gravol for my poor tummy. Came home, fell asleep in the backyard, came in the house, fell asleep on the couch. I had been marinating steak for supper, but no one wanted to cook it, so we had take out. And then we all went to bed by 10pm. I feel pretty crappy today still, but at least I don't have to go out.

To sum it up, I totally get why adults can't wait to get home. I have never been so happy to sleep in my own bed and enjoy my clean house. Until next vacation, I am so happy to be home!

No comments:

Post a Comment