Friday, July 22, 2011

Barcelona- The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Please remember that this is a post of my opinions only. Just because I write things, doesn't make them fact. That is my disclaimer.

The GOOD
The beaches, we were at one that was topless. There is nothing better than letting the girls go free. The people there even think that walking around the beach topless is ok, so I got to swim topless! The cool factor of just being in Barcelona, CHEAP groceries. We are talking .18 Euro for a bottle of water, not much more for other bottled drinks. The Gelato - soooo good. The metro - anywhere you want to go in the city, the metro will take you , and you only have to wait 4 minutes for the next train. Great system, and air conditioned too! The FC Barcelona stadium. It was really cool the get to see where the FC play, it took us about 3 times longer to go through it than we had planned, it was that cool. My husband is now even more obsessed with soccer, but I saw that one coming. And the number one good thing, the heat! It was hot and humid, I got a wicked tan, and I just love being hot(as my daughter would say, both ways!)

The BAD
Barcelona is super noisy, during the day, in the middle of the night. Garbage trucks, people waking up at midnight and taking their noise outside! Scooters, cars, cars honking. The Food, I cannot tell you how much the food sucks here. It's all Tapas, and you think ooohh appetizers, yay! But no. The calamari is good, the potatoes, but who do you have to kill in this city to get a salad that is not made entirely out of meat? Everywhere you go in this city, it's all the same food. And don't even get me started on the paella's, blech. We did find one good place, so we ate there 3 times. The waiter kept saying hello to me any time we walked by he knew us so well! I may be a bit biased on the food because I got food poisoning, but really, I need my veggies!

The UGLY
I am a bit hesitant to even say this due to backlash from the architectural community, but let's face it, who from there is going to see this? So I say......The ugliest thing I have even seen is "La Sagrada Familia", the famous church in Barcelona. It is so ugly, it looks like 5 different people had 5 different ideas, they couldn't compromise so they decided to do everything together, then a dog came along, ate their ideas, then threw them up...and that's what they built. It is so all over the place. As a church, I don't even think it counts. There is nothing holy about this place, unless you count the "holy crap is that ugly". I have seen a lot of churches in my day - I love them, I go inside any church I can, and this is not a church. It is an abomination.

So that's my recap on Barcelona. I was a bit disappointed that there wasn't as much history there as I would have thought. I did enjoy myself, but thankfully there are a million other places that I haven't been, so I can say that I have been there and call that one done.

No comments:

Post a Comment