Friday, February 6, 2015

Just another day

On Monday I had my surgery for Basal Cell Carcinoma on my face.  I had a biopsy on this spot in August, they thought they may have missed a bit of it, so they sent me on for further inspection.  Doctor lead to Dermatologist, which lead to Plastic Surgeon.  By the time I got to this surgeon, they were mad that it took so long for me to see them.  I really didn't think it was a big deal, my first cut out resulted in 5 stitches.  I thought I got to them pretty quickly, so you will never hear me complain about our health care system. (It turns out that they removed a 1cm x 1cm chunk, a bit bigger than I expected!)

I wasn't all that concerned going in, but 4 hours and over 20 stitches later, I was a little less calm.  I'm proud of myself for not losing it completely, but I did have a little panic attack during surgery.  I almost didn't cry, but then I was told I couldn't play soccer for a while, and that set me off.

5 days later and I'm doing ok.  I haven't been able to eat much solid food, but I did find some crackers and chocolate that I can fit into my mouth.  Everything else is via straw.  I didn't realize that liquid calories are just not the same as chewed calories, you'd think I'd love being on smoothies, shakes and especially ice cream, but it's just not the same.

A few weeks after my husband had his heart attack, I found out about the cancer.  My daughter put it best - she asked if we could just be done with the problems...please.  I'm sorry sweetie, I know this crap isn't fun, but the alternatives are so much worse.  I really do hope that we are done with this bullshit, we could really use a good year.  Don't get me wrong, we have a great life, I'm just a little tired of having to deal with major events.  The great news is that I am not wearing make-up in this picture, and I think I look pretty decent, aside from the stitches of course!

It's my birthday today - so I will start my 40's cancer free, and I will celebrate with as much ice cream that I can cram in my mouth!

No comments:

Post a Comment